Saturday 27 April 2013

It's not the Vegetables fault, it's the "Food Networks" fault!!

I've come to the realization that I don't actually hate cooked carrots.

I hate the way my mom cooks carrots!!!!



Growing up I dreaded seeing cooked carrots on the plate, because they were always soggy and tasted too much like butter.  I always thought that one of the best parts of growing up was not having to eat cooked carrots anymore.  I'm an adult and if I don't want to eat cooked carrots then I won't.

I would go to buffets and load my plate with a smorgasbord of meats and seafood, but NO veggies.  Thinking that they would taste awful. I remember one time a complete stranger asking me one time "You gonna put any veggies on that plate?" and me saying without a beat: "If I wanted veggies one my plate I wouldn't have moved out of my parents house".

The truth of the matter is I have avoided all kinds of vegetables:

Cooked carrots

Brussel sprouts

Zucchini

Asparagus

Spinach

Egg Plant

But this isn't the vegetables fault. It's my mothers fault. Or maybe it's the "Food Networks" fault!!

If the "Food Network" aired in the 1980's, then it's quite possible that the way I used to look at food would have changed completely.

My mother may have learned that it doesn't take 30 minutes to cook a pork-chop, and that pork-chops don't only need to be served only with "cream of mushroom soup" poured over them.

My mother may have learned that carrots don't only need to be "steamed" till they are almost soup, but that they can be sauteed, fried, BBQ'd or "lightly steamed".

My mother may have learned that there are more cultures of food other than her own, "Chinese food" and "Italian". (I never tried Vietnamese food until I was in my 20's and Sushi until I was in my late 20's, that's my parents fault because they never introduced me to the amazing flavors of the many nations of the world.)

The truth of the matter is my mouth, tongue and taste buds are loving my late 30's eating experience. I am trying to cook new things and I am enjoying eating new things.  I am loving the many ways to eat cooked carrots be it in a Sushi roll, Steak roll, soup, sauteed or grilled.

I can't blame my mother for her cooking skills as I still have to see her all the time.

So I blame the "Food Network"!!

Don't get me wrong "Food Network" I love you!

I love the 1 hour of silence I get when the "wifey" watches one of your shows.

I love the new flavors and tastes my mouth experiences when the "wifey" cooks a new recipe she learned from that 1 hour of silence.

I love the fact that there are more "F-Bombs" per 30 minutes on your network than HBO.

And I love Chopped! Oh what will the mystery basket reveal next episode?

PS: I still hate "sweet potatoes" and "Yams"!!!

PPS: I have a great Brussel Spouts recipe which I will post later this week which will solidify this blogs statement.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.