Monday 25 March 2013

Daughters first Hockey Games

So I am obviously a dad, and I try to incorporate sports into my daughters life as much as I can.

Up until recently my daughters sport interactions have been the following:

1) Her and I playing princess in the living room while the TV is on and daddy tries to catch peeks at the score in between the exploits of "Rapunzel" (her) and "Flynn Rider" (me). Other times she is "Izzy" and I am "Captain Hook" (from "Jake and the Neverland Pirates").

2) Coming to mommy and daddy's softball games where she gets "treats" (ice cream) in between games and digging in the dirt.

and

3) Daddy putting money in the swear jar because daddy cheers for really bad teams.

So I decided that since my daughter was 4 and a 1/2 now it was time for her first hockey game.   The tickets I get are on the lower bowl 8 rows from the glass, I am thinking there is no better seats to watch her first
game.

I thought it would be a great bonding experience and we could learn a lot about each other.

I ended up realizing two amazing things about my daughter last night.

Brynn and I dressed up for the game in our jerseys and headed down to the Arena early so we can take in everything.



Upon entering the Arena she was handed a "free mini hockey stick", and I'm thinking perfect if she thinks "free toys" are involved she'll want to come every time!

I got her a kids bag of popcorn, and 2 waters (One for her and one for me, since she leaves more than she takes most times she drinks out of a water bottle, if you know what I mean.) and headed for our seats early.

Sitting there she was marveled at the "two cars" on the ice and I informed here the were called "Zamboni's" to which she replied: "Za-Bambi's?" to which I replied: "Yes Za-bambi's".

Everything was going great, she was wearing her "leapfrog" kid headphones (http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/ca/en_CA/Headphones/productDetail/Leapster-Accessories/prod770007/ca_cat90012?selectedColor=&selectedSize=&navAction=jump&navCount=0&categoryNav=false) which fit her little ears perfectly, so that the noise doesn't hurt her ears. Eating popcorn and looking for "the puppy". (Harvey the Hound our teams mascot).

When all of a sudden the arena went dark and got really really loud.  Our daughter was marveled by everything she loved the lights, the colors and the giant TV.

When all of a sudden this happened:



The bursts of flames were too much and scared her!!  Instant hysterical tears, with bursts of "I want to go home!" "I want to go home!" appeared!

 I quickly sit her on my lap and try to settle her down.

This brings me to my first realization about my daughter.

Apparently my daughter is terrified of fire!!

Maybe it was "Bambi" or maybe it was "Lilo & Stitch" but flames now equal crazy hysterical tears.

Luckily for me I am always prepared and quick thinking lead me to plugging my iPhone into her headphones and putting on a movie!  This only slightly helped calm the tears.

After about 18 minutes (10 minutes of actual game time), the tears were finally gone. She was calm and actually started watching the game while looking up from her movie.

Then something happened....

The Flames scored and it started all over again!!

I was able to calm her down by the end of the period and she was able to enjoy watching the "puppy" walking on the ice during the intermission.  I took her to the potty (which I am happy to report where clean! Great job men who used the toilets that game), and to get her some soft serve chocolate ice cream before the 2nd period started in case the "flames" happened again when the hockey players arrived.

We arrive back to our seats 2 minutes into the second period, and she is enjoying "watching her movie" and eating ice cream, while every couple of minutes or so looking cautiously upwards towards where the "flames" appear.

Everything is going great, all the while I am hoping for a 1-0 score.

When it happened again....

The Flames scored!!!

Instant tears and "I want to go home!".  But this time I am ready.  There is still a 3/4 eaten ice cream in front of my daughter, and I inform her that we can't go until it's all eaten.

Which brings me to the second realization.

My daughter is immune to "brain freezes!!!"

Because that ice cream was eaten in 30 seconds and we were gone!!

(PS: Riding home my daughter asked why daddy's team was called the "flames".  I tried to pass on some knowledge, and started explaining about how the flames originally came from Atlanta and General Lee during the Civil War set fire to the city and that's how they got the name, and when the team was relocated to Calgary they kept the name. But I stopped myself part way through and told her... I'm not sure. But tonight I really wish we were called the Calgary "Butterflies" or "snowflakes".)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.